Kanban System Design
Certified Lean Kanban Foundation – Leading Evolutionary Change is a highly interactive two-day course accredited by the Lean-Kanban University (LKU) and provides in-depth training in Kanban practices and the principles that underpin the Kanban method, including a fully immersive Kanban simulation.
The Kanban method is an evolutionary approach to change and change management by starting with what you already do; respecting current roles; responsibilities and job titles; encouraging acts of leadership at all levels, and agreeing to pursue incremental, evolutionary change that evolves business processes using a Kaizen approach that reduces the risks associated with complex change programmes. Participants will gain sufficient knowledge about the Kanban Method and related topics to:
- Lead or guide a team in their adoption of Kanban – from initial visualization and the design of Kanban systems through to evolutionary change.
- Answer questions and support the team in day-to-day operation.
- Help teams to identify and resolve hindrances to flow.
- Take measurements and create meaningful metrics that helps the team.
- Evolve process and practice per team needs, in a meaningful way.
- Connect with the Kanban community for the sharing of practical experiences and the development of new ideas and techniques.
What Will You Learn?
Based on the trainer’s practical experience, participants will learn how to:
- Identify internal and external sources of dissatisfaction.
- Analyse demand vs capability.
- Model the knowledge discovery process.
- Design Kanban systems and their visualizations.
- Identify/prioritize improvements.
- Choose cadences for activities.
- Identify classes of service.
- Create a rollout plan, negotiating strategy with stakeholders.
What Will You Receive?
- Two days of high quality instruction from practitioner who has 13+ years experience in software development.
- Course materials.
- Membership of the Lean-Kanban University (LKU).
- Lean-Kanban University (LKU) certificate of course completion.
- 16 Scrum Education Units (SEU’s) can be claimed for this course and used as part of your Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Professional application.
- What is Kanban?
- Kanban with a big ‘K’ and little ‘k’
- Principles of the Kanban Method
- Kanban Core Practices
- When is Kanban Typically Used ?
IDENTIFY WORK ITEMS
- Demand Analysis
- Handling Large Work Items
- Principles of the Kanban Method
- Kanban Cards
- Sizing Work Items
- Setting up and using a Kanban Board
- Different Options for Kanban Boards
- Queues and Buffers
LIMIT WORK IN PROGRESS (WIP)
- Queuing Theory – Little’s Law
- Calculating Lead Time
- Calculating Throughput
- Calculating WIP
- Calculating Release Time
- Why Limit WIP
- Techniques to Limit WIP
- Where to Apply WIP Limits
MAKE MANAGEMENT POLICIES EXPLICIT
- Definition of ‘Done’
- Classes of Service
- Cost of Delay
- Service Level Agreements
MEASURING AND MANAGING FLOW
- Cumulative Flow Diagrams in Relation to Kanban
- How to Produce a Cumulative Flow Diagram
- How to Measure Lead Time
- How to Measure WIP
- How to Measure Flow
- Optimising Flow
- How to use the Cumulative Flow Diagram to Identify Problems
- Five Focusing Steps to Remove Bottlenecks
- Interpreting a Control Chart
- Interpreting a lead time distribution chart
SOURCES OF VARIABILITY
- Sources of dissatisfaction
- The impact of variability
- Techniques and strategies for removing variability
- Cadence and Rhythm
- Daily Stand-ups
- Operations Review
KANBAN IN YOUR ORGANIZATION
- The Context for Change
- The Steps required to Build a Kanban system
- Apply a Kanban System to your Organization
- Prepare a Roll-Out Plan for your Organization
APPLY YOUR LEARNING
Team-Based Realistic Simulation of a Kanban System in Practice
WHAT ARE THE PRE-REQUISITES?
Approximately one week before the training a pre-course email will be issued that contains some short research tasks.
WHO IS THIS COURSE SUITABLE FOR?
This course is useful for anyone who wants to be successful using Kanban within their organisation, or anyone who works with teams utilising Kanban. In terms of roles, the course is suitable for
- Product, Project and Programme Managers.
- Development Team Members (including but not limited to Architects, Designers, Developers, Testers).
- Business Analysts and Scrum Product Owners and Scrum Masters who want to enhance their Lean / Agile skillset.